Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Engineering Science
The Engineering Science major is a multidisciplinary honors program for engineering students who demonstrate superior academic potential or achievement. The program provides a broad foundation in the sciences and associated mathematics that underlie engineering, such as mechanics, materials, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, wave phenomena, and computational analysis. Students obtain depth of knowledge through technical electives and a capstone research and design project (senior honors thesis).
The program is also highly flexible, providing an excellent opportunity for students who are interested in interdisciplinary training. Because of this flexibility, students can receive tailored, focused training in areas such engineering mechanics, electrical science, solid state and materials science, computer science, and bioengineering, to name a few.
The Engineering Science major is designed both for students who plan to pursue graduate study and for those who seek a solid interdisciplinary foundation in engineering. It prepares students to cope with the complex, multi-faceted problems of technology in contemporary society.
Students may also receive minors in Engineering Mechanics and Nanotechnology offered by the engineering science and mechanics department as a focus area of study.
Engineering science students select from the following honors-designated courses:
Optional first/second-year honors courses (at University Park):
- E SC 261M Computational Methods in Engineering (3)
- E MCH 110H Equilibrium Mechanics (5)
- E MCH 112H Mechanics of Motion (3)
Optional junior/senior-level honors courses (6 credits minimum):
- CHEM 38H Organic Chemistry (3)
- B M B 251H Molecular and Cell Biology I (3)
- E E 210H Circuits and Devices(4)
- E MCH 416H Failure and Failure Analysis of Solids (3)
- E SC 400H Electromagnetic Fields (3)
- E SC 407H Computer Methods in Engineering Science (3)
- E SC 405H Engineering Applications of Field Theory (3)
Required junior/senior-level honors courses:
- E SC 414M Elements of Material Engineering (3)
- E SC 404H Analysis in Engineering Science (3)
- E SC 410H Senior Design Project (3)
- E SC 411H Senior Design Project (3)
- E SC 433H Engineering Science Research Laboratory Experience (1)
The B.S. in Engineering Science with Honors has a minimum degree requirement of a 3.33 cumulative GPA.
Download the Engineering Science Advising Flowchart.
Engineering Science Pre-Med Plan
The department also offers a Pre-Med option to undergraduates who wish to pursue the field of medicine. For more information on the pre-med plan, email the ESM undergraduate officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download the Pre-Med Plan Advising Flowchart.