How to Apply
We encourage all prospective graduate students to apply as early as possible—especially those students from outside the United States—to ensure that you have time to complete all necessary paperwork to study at Penn State.
*All application documents are due by the deadline date.*
Application Deadline for M.Eng. program:
- April 30, 2017, for fall 2017 enrollment.
Application Deadlines for M.S. and Ph.D. degrees, with or without funding:
- December 15, 2016, for fall 2017 enrollment.
- August 1, 2017, for Spring 2018 enrollment
Application Deadline for Integrated Undergraduate/Graduate (IUG) program:
- The IUG program begins the first week of the seventh semester of undergraduate studies.
For more information:
Please contact Tammy Coval, graduate program assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 814-863-4586.
If you are ready to proceed to the application but have NOT read the Graduate School requirements, please visit their website.
If you have read the Graduate School requirements and are ready to apply, you may proceed to the application.
Admission Criteria and Procedures
The Graduate Programs Office considers many criteria for admissions, including your letters of recommendation and potential for successful study and research. More information on the requirements for graduate school admission can be found on the Penn State Graduate School's website.
Below are some basic criteria.
- An undergraduate degree in the engineering discipline for which you are applying or in a related engineering or science discipline
- A 3.00 or higher junior-senior grade point average
- A competitive score on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- For international students, acceptable Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores.
Required Application Materials
- Access the online application through the Penn State Graduate School.
- Do not send any materials by mail to Penn State - application materials are included in your online application.
1. Statement of Purpose/Objectives
- Tell us why you want to pursue an advanced degree in Engineering Science and Mechanics and how it will help you further your career objectives. Usually, one page is sufficient.
- Outlining educational background, professional experience, awards, honors, and publications.
3. Three (3) letters of recommendation
- Recommendation letters must be on business or personal stationary with an author's signature.
4. Non-refundable application fee
5. Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores
- Submit scores (verbal, quantitative, and analytical) to Institution Code 2660, Department Code 1605.
- You official score report must be submitted by ETS.
- Please order these early as they can take up to a month to reach us.
6. Official Test of English as a Foregin Language (TOEFL) scores for international students only
- ALL international students from non-English speaking countries are required to submit a TOEFL or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score.
- TOEFL/IELTS Institution Code is 2660, Department Code is 69.
7. One (1) Official Transcript
- The transcript must show all previous college/university coursework.
- International applicants must submit official records, or attested copies, with certified translations if the records are not in English; please note that notarized copies are not acceptable.
- The official transcripts must be sent to the Graduate School and not to the ESM department.
- Copies of transcripts, degree/study certificates and diplomas in the language of instruction from all institutions of higher education attended, both undergraduate and graduate, should be uploaded online as part of the Graduate School Application.
- If English is not the language of instruction, copies of all transcripts/documents in the English translation must also be uploaded.
- Applicants recommended for admission will be notified by the Graduate School that official/original transcripts/documents and their official English translation must be sent from the originating institutions for review by the Graduate School, in order to finalize an admission decision. Notarized copies are not sufficient.
Application Review Process
- The review process takes approximately three months from the application deadline.
- When a decision has been made, you will be notified via email, and a hard copy of the letter will be sent to you.
- International applicants: The dean of Graduate Enrollment Services will notify the University Office of Global Programs (UOGP) of your admission, at which time, UOGP will review your financial guarantee and additional required supporting documentation. Please be patient, as this office handles visa documents for thousands of students. Your document will be sent via UPS once it has been completed; however, if the financial guarantee has not been met, no document will be prepared.
- If your file was not completed by the deadline, you have the following options:
- Defer to the next semester (you may only make this request once).
- Withdraw your application.
Program Deferment or Withdrawal
Please notify email@example.com if you wish to defer or withdraw your application.