Laboratory and Research Safety
Penn State and the engineering science and mechanics department strives to conduct world-class engineering research while continuously educating and developing current graduate and undergraduate students. Improving the lives of individuals is central to the department's focus, and that begins with those performing the research. We are committed to conducting our research activities with the highest degree of safety and ensuring the protection of all individuals in the engineering science and mechanics community.
Developing a research community with a focus on safety not only improves the quality and effectiveness of the associated research programs, but also educates students and promotes the development of safe and effective independent researchers moving forward to professional careers in academics and industry.
Safety is the responsibility of the entire engineering science and mechanics community including administrators, principal investigators, faculty, and students. Identifying and immediately addressing potential hazards with colleagues, staff, and students not following appropriate safety protocols and guidelines is the responsibility of us all.
ESM Department Safety and Security Contacts
Assistant Safety Officer
Safety Committee Members
- Patrick Lenahan: email@example.com
- Reginald Hamilton: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bernhard Tittmann: email@example.com
- Ela Sikora: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Joseph Rose: email@example.com
- Carrie Friday: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Amel Awadelkarim (Undergrad Representative): email@example.com
- Gloria Choi (Grad Representative): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Scott Kralik (ex-officio): email@example.com
- Ardell Hosterman (ex-officio): firstname.lastname@example.org
Lab Safety Training
Every person working in, or with access to, a lab must complete Laboratory Safety Initial Training conducted by Penn State Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) within 90 days of starting their lab work.
To schedule initial training, please visit the EHS website and select Training under the Quick Links menu.