Shaw, Barbara A.
Office phone: (814) 865-7828
Office address: 403C Earth and Engineering Sciences Building
Office hours: T - 10:30am - 12:00, R - 1:30pm - 3:30pm
Office hours Location: 403C EES Building
Office hours Phone: (814) 865-7828
- Ph.D., Materials Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, 1989
- M.S., Materials Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, 1985
- B.S., Ocean Engineering, Florida Atlantic University, 1980
Years of Service with Penn State (22 years)
- July 2003 – Present Professor of Engineering Science and Mechanics
- July 1995 – July 2003 Assocate Professor of Engineering Science and Mechanics
- Jan 1990 – July 1995 Assistant Professor of Engineering Science and Mechanics
Other Related Experience — Teaching, Industrial, Etc.
- Nov 1988 – Dec 1989 Scientist, Surface Science and Corrosion, Martin Marietta Corporate Research Laboratories, Baltimore,MD
- May 1981 – Nov 1988 Engineer, Corrosion Branch, David Taylor Naval Ship Research and Development Center, Annapolis MD
Recent Principal Publications
- Ryan C Wolfe, Barbara A. Shaw, and Elizabeth Sikora (2007) “The effect of thermal treatment on the corrosion properties of vapor deposited magnesium alloyed with yttrium, aluminum, titanium, and misch metal,” Journal of Alloys and Compounds, (437), pp. 157–164.
- Daniel P Schmidt, Barbara A. Shaw, Elizabeth Sikora, and Wilford W. Shaw (2006) “Corrosion Protection Assessment of Barrier Properties of Several Zinc-Containing Coating Systems on Steel in Artificial Seawater”,,” Corrosion, 62(4), pp. 323–339.
- Daniel P Schmidt, Barbara A. Shaw, Elizabeth Sikora, Wilford W. Shaw, and Larry Laliberte (2006) “Corrosion protection assessment of sacrificial coating systems as a function of exposure time in a marine environment”,” Progress in Organic Coatings,, 57, pp. 352–364.
- Ryan C Wolfe, Howard W. Pickering, and Barbara A. Shaw (2006) “Microprobe Study of pH During the Induction Period Preceding Crevice Corrosion,” J. Electrochem. Soc, 153, pp. B25-B32.
- Barbara A. Shaw and Robert G. Kelly (2006) “What is Corrosion?,” Interface, 15, pp. 24–26.
- Alan Shi, Barbara A. Shaw, and Elizabeth Sikora (2005) “, “The Role of Grain Boundary Regions in the Localized Corrosion of a Cu-free 6111-like Alloy,,” Corrosion, 61, pp. 534–547.
- Ryan C Wolfe, Konrad G. Weil, Barbara A. Shaw, and Howard W. Pickering (2005) “Measurement of pH Gradients in the Crevice Corrosion of Iron Using a Palladium Hydride Microelectrode,,” J. Electrochem. Soc.,, 152, pp. B82-B88.
Consulting, Patents, and Scientific and Professional Society Memberships
- Consultant, City of York, PA, York, PA (1992 – Present)
- Expert Witness, Bradshaw Law Firm, Iowa (May 2007 – Nov 2008)
- Consultant, Alpha Sintered Metals, Ridgway, PA (June 1992 – Sept 2008)
- Consultant, MPM Associates, State College, PA (Aug 2007 – Oct 2007)
Honors and Awards
- NACE International’s 1996 H.H. Uhlig Young Educator Award, NACE International (1996)
- 1994 Outstanding Research Award - Penn State Engineering Society, Penn State SES (1994)
- 1993 Provost's Award for Collaborative Instruction and Curricular Innovation, Penn State (1993)
- 1993 ONR Young Investigator Award, Office of Navel Research (1993)
Recent Institutional and Professional Service
- Member Promotion and Tenure Committee, Penn State ESM Dept (Sept 2003 – Dec 2008)
- ESM Scholarship Committee, Penn State ESM Dept (June 1990 – Dec 2008)
- Chair of the Intercollege Materials Program, Penn State (1998 – 2003)
Login to Edit